Many people do not see themselves as carers. They simply think of themselves as a friend or family of the person they care for. It is because of this that they often don’t realise there is help available to them, as carers. This help could include a carer’s assessment, access to financial support and, for those in employment, the right to request flexible working.
Use the links below to find more information from the NHS Carers Direct website. Their downloadable pdf guides, which you can access below, are also a useful starting point.
Information on carers assessments
Information on financial support
Information on support for carers at work
- Carer’s Allowance (PDF, 722Kb)
- Carer’s assessment (PDF, 647Kb)
- Community care assessment (PDF, 570Kb)
- Direct payments (PDF, 398Kb)
- Disability Living Allowance (PDF, 955Kb)
- Attendance Allowance (PDF, 372Kb)
- Means-tested benefits (PDF, 738Kb)
- Respite care (PDF, 395Kb)
- Help at home (PDF, 425Kb)
- Welfare and safety (PDF, 444Kb)