Carer support concerns everyone. Why?
Because…caring is an issue that touches everyone’s life at some point.
- 3 out of 5 people in the UK will become carers at some time in their lives
- taking on a caring role can mean facing a life of poverty, isolation, frustration, ill health and depression
- the majority of carers struggle alone and do not know that help is available to them
- families affected by illness or disability are facing tough times at the moment and it has never been more important that they know their rights.
The local picture in Bristol and South Gloucestershire
- there are 60,000 carers
- there are 1417 young carers (children under 17)
- there are 2046 18 to 25 year old carers
- 1 in 5 local carers provide unpaid care for more than 50 hours every week.
- these carers save local health and social care services a staggering £1.19 billion every year
- the economic value of the contribution made by carers in Bristol is £755.5 m per year which is the highest in the south-west
- the economic value of the contribution made by carers in South Glos is £439.3 million per year.