- 3 out of 5 people in the UK will become carers at some time in their lives.
- Over 8 million people are carers (around 13%).
- Every day another 6,000 people take on a caring responsibility – that equals over 2 million people each year.
- 58% of carers are women and 42% are men.
- Over 1 million people care for more than one person.
- Carers save the economy £132 billion per year, an average of £19,336 per carer.
- 5 million people juggle care with work, however the significant demands of caring mean that 2 in 5 carers are forced to give up work altogether.
- Carer’s Allowance is the main carer’s benefit and is £66.15 for a minimum of 35 hours, equivalent to £1.89 per hour – far short of the national minimum wage of £8.21 per hour.
- People providing high levels of care are twice as likely to be permanently sick or disabled
- 625,000 people suffer mental and physical ill health as a direct consequence of the stress and physical demands of caring.
- Over 1.3 million people provide over 50 hours of care per week.
Source: Carers UK
The local picture in Bristol and South Gloucestershire
The 2011 census shows that:
- There are 40,138 carers in Bristol (13.5% of the Bristol population), 9,176 of whom provide care for more than 50 hours per week.
- There are 27,639 carers in South Glos (14.7% of the South Glos population), 5,384 of whom provide care for more than 50 hours per week.
- There are 1,384 young carers (children under 16).
- There are 3,916 young adult carers (16 to 24 years old).
- 1 in 3 local carers (34%) provide unpaid care for more than 20 hours every week.
Economic contribution made by local carers
- In Bristol and South Gloucestershire alone, it is estimated that carers save health and social care services £1.19 billion every year by providing unpaid care.
- The economic value of the contribution made by carers in Bristol is £755.5 m per year which is the highest in the South West.
- The economic value of the contribution made by carers in South Glos is £439.3 million per year.
Source: Carers UK/Valuing Carers 2015