YCV is a group of young carers who meet monthly and act as representatives for young carers. They have worked hard to bring about change and make sure that Local Authorities include the needs of young carers and their families in service and policy development.
Members of YCV have taken part in training professionals and meeting with MPs, local councillors and senior health and social care managers. They also produced a powerful film to share their message with professionals.
Hearing directly from young carers is very powerful. It’s much harder for people to ignore the issues young carers face, when they hear it from young carers themselves. As one YCV member puts it…
“We make a difference!”
Watch YCV’s annual review film (created in lockdown) about everything they’ve achieved:
YCV produces their own newsletter, which is written and designed by young carers.
Download past YCV newsletters below:
What young carers are asking for
Young carers want professionals to:
- be approachable, understanding and trustworthy
- have a knowledge of young carers’ issues
- have more time for them on a 1 to 1 basis
They want the following from Children and Young People’s services:
- someone to talk to
- an opportunity to meet other young carers
- services to be free
- support with transport of reduced or free bus travel
- different kinds of activities
- activities at different times for different age groups
- a break from caring, especially in school holidays
They want schools to have:
- designated staff supporting young carers
- teachers who are non-judgemental and have an understanding of young carers’ issues