Carers Rights Day 2020 | Know your rights
Thursday 26th November via Zoom
Last updated: 26/11/2020
The theme this year is ‘Know Your Rights’. The online event will start with a webinar which will focus on carers’ rights in healthcare settings. The day will then conclude with a series of online workshops to choose from. Short videos will also be uploaded throughout the day on our website and YouTube channel outlining your rights as a carer.
Schedule for Webinar
- 10.30 AM – 11.30 AM | Carers Rights Day Webinar via Zoom
Learn more about carers’ rights and support available for you in hospitals and hear other updates relating to healthcare. Confirmed speakers include Judy Gowenlock, Tracey Lathrope and Sam Radford of Carers Support Centre’s Carers Hospital Liaison Team and Tony Watkin, Patient and public Involvement Lead, University Hospitals Bristol and Weston. Eleanor Warrington, Quality Improvement Lead at Sirona Care & Health will talk about community health services in Bristol and South Gloucestershire, how these might be different during the current lockdown, and how carers can help shape their services. Sharon Woma, Inclusion Coordinator and Glenn Townsend, Public Patient Involvement Lead, BNSSG CCG will also respond to any additional questions around the funding of community or primary care. If you have questions relating to your rights in hospitals or the support available to you, please email them into us ahead of the Webinar. There will be an opportunity to ask further questions on the day. Please note that this webinar will not cover GP services. More information about Sirona’s services can be found here.
Video on demand version coming soon!
Schedule for Afternoon Workshops
Carers Rights Day Afternoon Workshops via Zoom
You are welcome to attend one or all of these online workshops. The maximum number of places for each workshop is 20. Please do let us know as soon as possible if you need to cancel your place.
- 1.15 PM – 2.00 PM | Healthy Eating
Bananas? Apples? Kale? Lentils? How can we aim to have a healthy lifetsyle? Judy Gowenlock DipCNM, LLB Hons, mBANT, mCNHC, registered Nutritional Therapist and Nutritionist will offer her expertise to carers. Judy will present information and tips on eating well. There will be time for some discussion. Judy will also answer any questions sent to her in advance of the workshop. Please note Judy is unable to provide individual advice but will happily talk about the general principles of eating healthily. Everyone attending will be sent a factsheet and further information.
- 2.15 PM – 2.45 PM | Move and Meditate
Gentle stretches and mindfulness meditation to restore equilibrium within your mind and body. Come dressed as you are; no sporty gear required! Facilitated by Wendy Francis, Counselling Coordinator.
- 3.00 PM – 3.45 PM | Lasting Power of Attorney
This can feel like a daunting process for carers and this workshop aims to simplify the steps. Pauline Sandell, Information & Advice Manager of Age UK South Gloucestershire will explain the process and there will be time for questions and answers. Feel free to email us any questions that you have when you book on.
- 4.00 PM – 4.45 PM | Carers Allowance
Talk by Thomas Bidmead, Welfare Rights Coordinator, Welfare Rights and Money Advice Service on eligibility criteria for Carers Allowance and a chance to ask questions. Feel free to email us any questions that you have when you book on.
- How do I attend the online webinar and workshops?
- You will need to download the Zoom video application by clicking here. You can use it on a desktop PC, laptop computer, smart phone or tablet device.
- Will I need a webcam or microphone in order to participate?
- For the webinar a webcam and microphone are completely optional. If you plan on taking part in the afternoon workshops however, having a webcam and microphone will greatly improve your experience as these will be more interactive.
- I can’t find my Zoom confirmation email; can you resend it?
- Yes, if you have successfully registered, Zoom will send you a confirmation email with a unique link that should not be shared. These links will help you get into the meetings when they go live on November 26th. If the confirmation email did not go into your inbox, please check your email spam folders too. We can also resend confirmation emails if you email email@example.com. Please note that the afternoon workshops have limited space and you will only receive a confirmation email if there is room.