Carers Support Centre has a team of Hospital Carer Liaison Workers who work at the BRI, Southmead Hospital and South Bristol Community Hospital. They provide one-to-one support for carers whilst they, or the person they care for, are in hospital.
Our hospital carer liaison workers understand that as a carer you have a wealth of information and knowledge that can help hospital staff and we will support you to be fully involved with the admission and discharge of the person you care for. We can also make sure that if you decide to continue your caring role when the person you care for leaves hospital, you are aware of the support and breaks available to you.
- Attend best interest, care planning and discharge planning meetings with you and act as an advocate, if you would find this helpful.
- Talk you through the hospital processes.
- Help you to look at financial support/benefits for you and the person you care for.
- Advise you whether you are entitled to a carers assessment and help you organise this.
- Provide you with information about carer services in your local area (eg sitting service/counselling/training sessions).
- Help you communicate your needs or concerns to ward staff.
Southmead Hospital– Carers Support Scheme
If you spend more than 3 hours, several times a week, supporting a patient on the wards you may be entitled to free parking and access to staff canteen.
Find out more on the NBT website.
BRI – Carers Information Scheme
Carers providing support on the wards to patients can get discounted parking and a carers sticker to identify you. Find out more on the UHBT website.
For more information on both these schemes ask on the ward or speak to the Hospital Carers Liaison Worker.
Contact our team by phone or use the form on this page
- BRI: Holly Thomas 07557 441613 (Monday-Wednesday, alternate Fridays)
- Southmead Hospital: Sam Radford 0755 741 8692 (Monday-Wednesday)
- South Bristol Community Hospital: Judy Gowenlock 07917 880375 (Thursday-Friday, alternate Wednesdays)
Carers’ input was vital in developing the Carers Charter that covers all hospitals in Bristol and South Glos. It sets out what you can expect from them as a carer and covers the following:
- recognising carers as equal partners in care
- supporting carers
- sharing information
- young carers
You can view the charter here: Download the Carers Charter
Your feedback about your hospital experience
Both hospital trusts want to work more closely with carers and understand what your experience of using the hospitals has been. Please contact us with your feedback and experiences using the form on this page.