How do we support young carers?
- a whole family young carers needs assessment
- bi-annual reviews
- Heroes group and referrals to other suitable groups locally
- breaks from caring; trips and activities
- Young Carers Voice; our young carers participation group
- Young Carers in Schools Programme
- Young Carers Free Family Days Out
- health and wellbeing focused projects
- partnership projects
- swimming lessons for non-swimmers
- awareness raising for a wide variety of professionals and community groups, to ensure they understand young carer issues and how best to support young carers.
We offer a tiered service depending on the individual needs of the young carer. Our service is in high demand. We therefore operate a waiting list which is prioritised based on need. It is essential that referrals include as much information as possible to ensure accurate prioritisation.
Those assessed as in high need will receive:
- one-to-one support
- intensive partnership working with other services supporting the young carer and/or family.
If a young carer’s circumstances change at any time, they can contact their key worker to review the level of support offered.
Heroes group is for 8-12 year olds. It is run fortnightly for 2 hours for 6 sessions. The sessions aim to improve confidence, self-esteem and find coping strategies. The young carers explore the issues they face in a supportive and gentle way with creative play and activities.
13 Up Club is a group for South Gloucestershire young carers age 13-18. This group is led by the young carers who choose the range of activities each week. It is a space for young carers to be young people and enjoy time with peers who know what life is like as a young carer. The group is held on a Saturday once a month.
We refer young carers to suitable groups and positive activities locally.
We offer a wide range of trips and activities which vary each year. We are incredibly grateful for the support from local community fundraising groups, trusts and grants to enable us to give young carers a break. Examples of activities and trips we provide for young carers include:
- Young Carers Fun Days
- Young Carers Family Fun Days
- Residentials with Kingswood, Magdalen Farm, Chicks and HoneyPot.
- Day trips to Bristol Zoo, Harry Potter Studios, Alton Towers and Thorpe Park.
- Young Carers Festival
- Visit to the House of Parliament
- South Glos Young Carers ’13’ Up Club.
- Allotment Day in Partnership with Simms Hill
- Health Eating Cookery Sessions
- Creative Art Sessions with
- ACTA Youth Theatre
- Pantos and Musicals at Bristol Hippodrome
- Bristol City Football Club tickets and an exclusive behind-the-scenes tour.
- VR Gaming Experience
- Mermaid Experience
Want to see some photos? Make sure you’re following us on Instagram: @YoungCarersBSG.