Bristol City Council has a statutory responsibility to provide a range of short breaks (previously known as respite).
Their targeted short breaks services contracts for children and young people up to age 18 all end on 31 March 2019. Bristol City Council is consulting with parents and carers to help develop options for future services. The consultation covers specific proposals for:
- Access to targeted short breaks services
- Weekday evening and weekend daytime short breaks
- A support service to help find Personal Assistants
- Short breaks transport service
- Widening eligibility for short breaks to include children with complex Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and Social, Emotional and Mental Health (SEMH) needs
- Special school based holidays short breaks
- Residential holiday service for disabled children and young people
- Young people with disabilities youth provision aged 13 to 18 years
- Short Break activities for deaf and hard of hearing children and young people and their families
- Bristol Autism Project (BAP)
The consultation is open until 1 June 2018.